Originally the Eagle’s Nest New York City was a longshoreman’s pub called The Eagle Open Kitchen 142 west 11th avenue on twenty first street from 1931 to 1970. In 1972 The Eagle Open Kitchen was purchased by Jack Modica, who transformed the pub into a Levi Leather men’s bar in 1972. Back in the gays it was known as the Eagle’s Nest, bar operating hours were ten pm to 4 am daily, even on holidays. By 1976 The Eagle’s Nest was at its prime and started Sunday brunch & tea dance.
The Eagle’s Nest had experienced lots of ups and downs over the years and with the plague of Aids in the 1980’s, sexual habits were changing in the gay LGBT community. During the early 1990’s the neighborhood was becoming gentrified at an alarming rate, Chelsea Piers was the start and end of the Eagle’s Nest as we all knew it.
By 2000 Jack Modica had enough and chose to retire down south instead of opening up the Eagle’s Nest somewhere else in the city, the closing party was held for everyone March 3-5, 2000 (RIP). Employees still wanted to continue the Eagle’s Nest legacy but wanted a larger space, so they searched and found a new space to house the New York City leather staple.
The new Eagle bar New York City opened on 554 west 28th street & 11th ave on October 5th 2001, which us to be a horse stable dating back to the late nineteenth century. Below is a little video we took in June, ending our Gay Pride festivities 2010.
The Original Eagle’s Nest Bar New York City June 27th, 2010 Gay Pride